This letter about the forthcoming elections to Scarborough Borough Council (SBC) responds to the previous points raised in the Whitby Gazette:
“After reading your lead letter from a reader re the current situation of councillors coming out of hibernation to collect our votes (Gazette, March 29), I would like to add the following:
- During the last political term in Whitby, what have the present incumbent Scarborough Borough Councillors achieved?
- Do you think they have created a better place to live in with better facilities for the residents who vote?
- What investment have they made on our behalf and on behalf of future generations?
• The SBC council offices have been closed
• Tourist Information Centre closed and building rented out (where is the money from the rent being invested?)
• Helredale playing fields built on – we were supposed to have a replacement 3G pitch to replace the loss of this amenity, where is it?
• Parking – do you know someone who has received a parking ticket after the introduction of new parking restrictions to support the closed park and ride? Has parking improved in Whitby or is it getting worse?
What is SBC doing to attract more investment into Whitby?
After all, in Scarborough town SBC have lent £9m to a private water park, demolished a theatre at a cost of over £4m to build the east coast’s biggest private roller coaster, while still running an open air theatre which can only operate in the summer months (at a loss), redeveloped Scarborough indoor market, failed to develop and maintain Whitby open air market.
These are all questions you should ask any candidate of whatever political persuasion, but then we must hold these people to account and ensure they deliver.
Peter Croft, Sandpiper House, Whitby.”
With acknowledgements and thanks to the Editor, Whitby Gazette where this was published on Fri 05 April 2019.
Please visit www.Fight4Whitby.com for more details and how to donate to our legal costs. Thank-you.